Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Am Not So Strange

I have never been interested in having too many friends, since my childhood. I had always been a bit if an introvert, a loner, a small little child sitting out there, watching intently even the minutest of details around the room. This attitude of mine was partially due to the fact that all my class mates were always an year or two older than me, due to the virtue of me getting a double promotion from 1st to 3rd standard. Many times in my childhood, I was mocked at because of my seemingly queer thoughts & behaviour. I still am, but eventually I have learned to be proud of myself.

My friends always treated me as a child, especially in my earlier days at school. I guess we all were young, of course, I was always the youngest in the class. I was always bullied by the meaner children & was gradually pushed into becoming all of a sudden, very detached from everyone around me. I was in Kolkata then, and couldn't ever mix freely with people. I was always terrified of being a fool. I was always saying something that nobody could understand. I found my only solace in reading books, which were quite a many in our house due to the courtesy of my mother. I liked reading, and my reading speed was also very good, so I had no problem finding a social life in the vivid & interesting characters in the stories.

I also had a strong aversion to school. It was something very boring to me, not for the teachers & subjects but for the students with whom I had to sit. I didn't have a single good friend, although I was acquainted with all. Then when I came to Delhi, I realized there's a another side of me, which had evolved due to my growth in both age & intellect. For the first time in my life, I saw people in school who became readily friends with me. I became a little bit more social & began roaming out a little bit. By the time I was in Xth standard, I was pretty well like a normal teenager; the age difference did not matter to anyone & no one bullied me. But I was still confined to a particular group of friends.

Then I gradually became how I am today. In XI, I got a crush on a girl, sensing the feeling for the first time in my life. I have had innumerable wild crushes since then, but that's another story. I became friends with many. Then I also joined tuitions, and that was where I got to know myself better, saw the humorous part of myself, and learned to focus my uniqueness in a better way. During those days, I did get a surge in my egotism with which I am still dealing with.

I don't know exactly how, but I am different today. I have lots of good friends, have many more in facebook & also roam around a lot. I do still read thick novels, but I enjoy sniffing the other essences of life as well. I can say today say that I am a simple boy- with my interest in studies, my crushes, my weird behaviour, and my too much philosophical thoughts. Today I can say proudly, & feel it too, that I am not so strange as I used to be. I am like all of you, just maybe in a subtle, different way...

No comments: